gcmd-users

Re: [gcmd-usr] missing dependency or just pkg naming difference?

From: kht-lists
Subject: Re: [gcmd-usr] missing dependency or just pkg naming difference?
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2019 19:54:09 +0000

See my note below re. unique

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
On Monday, June 10, 2019 2:46 PM, Uwe Scholz <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi bendov,
>
> when "./configure" says it does not find something in it's checks when
> this does not mean something bad. It is just analyzing the system on
> which it is running.
>
> Only if there is a library missing which is absolutely needed for
> building Gnome Commander it would stop. I honestly do not know for
> what every configure step stands for, especially I would have to
> google for "checking dependency style of gcc". But if it finds
> something in the end which does not break the build everything is
> okay.
>
> If you are interested more in the magic behind the "configure && make
> && make install" procedure have a look into this short blog post:
> https://thoughtbot.com/blog/the-magic-behind-configure-make-make-install
>
> Regarding libunique support: This library is used to check for the
> number of running instances of a program. If Gnome Commander is
> compiled and linked to this library, it can be configured to run only
> once at the same time, i.e. it would be "lifted" to the foreground on
> your screen instead of starting a new instance. If this configure
> option is set to false or if the library is not found, a new instance
> of the Gnome Commander is started when you click on the program icon.
> But Gnome Commander does not need the libunique library. If it isn't
> found, the program would just start several instances if the program
> icon is clicked more than once. That's why the configure step isn't
> stopped if libunique isn't found.

Gnome Commander USED to have an option under the Options; General tab

Multiple instances
   [x] Don't start a new instance

This is not present in 1.10.2. If libunique is present or if it was present at
make time would this option appear or was it done away with altogether? I know
it was discussed back around version 1.8.x but I do not recall what was decided.

Ken