geiser-users

Re: Any guesses on how tightly version numbers should match?

From: Jose Antonio Ortega Ruiz
Subject: Re: Any guesses on how tightly version numbers should match?
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 03:40:44 +0100

Hi Diane,

On Mon, Jun 13 2022, Diane Trout wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I was working on updating the Debian package of geiser and sometime
> between now and the 0.10, the language specific support modules got
> split out into separate modules.
>
> I was wondering how closely the geisier and gesier-language package
> versions should match? Do they need to exactly match or do you think
> there's a reasonable chance close versions could work together?

There should be a pretty reasonable chance; at least that's the goal.  I
am the main developer of the core and guile modules, and some others
(mit, chibi) are simple enough that i can keep them updated, up to a
point at least.  So my idea is that one can interpret the geiser version
a module depends on as a minimum version requirement, meaning "this or
better".  That said, for complex implementations like chicken's or
gambit's i cannot guarantee that in the future they'll keep working like
that (i know for instance that Chicken is broken for some Chicken
versions already) besides Guile's.  Oh, and it's perhaps worth
mentioning that i'm no longer maintaining Racket (even though i was its
main developer): i consider geiser-racket superseded by racket-mode (as
i think does the Racket community since quite a while), so maybe packing
it is not worth your while unless someone steps up as a new maintainer
for it.

Many thanks for taking care of this (debian has always been my
distribution of choice, so i'm very happy to see packages for geiser in
there) and please let me know if i can be of further assistance.

Cheers,
jao
--
In my youth I thought of writing a satire on mankind; but now in my
age I think I should write an apology for them. -Horace Walpole