geiser-users

Re: Geiser with MIT Scheme

From: Jose A. Ortega Ruiz
Subject: Re: Geiser with MIT Scheme
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2023 17:25:24 +0100

Hi Nicholas,

On Wed, May 31 2023, Nicholas Papadonis wrote:

> I needed:
>
> (setq geiser-active-implementation '(mit))

Yes, that's one way.  What was happening (I think) is that your scheme
buffer wasn't being recognised as a MIT-scheme one. In case you ever
want to use more than one scheme with Geiser, possible alternative
settings are discussed in the manual:

[...]

> Questions:
>
> 1. I note the evaluated expression from the scheme buffer appears
> under the modeline.  When I use MIT Scheme Edwin this appears the same
> behavior.  When Edwin uses the *scheme* buffer and I evaluate an
> expression using C-x C-e the result is printed below the evaluated
> expression.  How does Geiser accomplish this?  So far it only appears
> this functionality is similar using the *Geiser Mit REPL* buffer.

In Geiser there is no *scheme* buffer where one evaluates expressions
(if that's what that buffer is, I've never used Edwin). The evaluation
results are also displayed in a buffer called *Geiser Debug*, but only
for the last evaluation.

> 2. Does Geiser provide the same debugging capabilities of MIT Scheme
> Edwin?  Just trying to get a comparison.

I've never used Edwin's debugger, but I am pretty sure it
doesn't. Geiser MIT support is basic (I think, I am not its author, but
it hasn't been updated in years), and my understanding is that it
delegates to the REPL for debugging operations. That's a common trait
accross most implementations, to be fair.

Hope this helps,
jao
--
The enjoyment of one's tools is an essential ingredient of successful
work. – Donald E. Knuth