Re: [Getfem-users] About GetFEM++

From: Yves Renard
Subject: Re: [Getfem-users] About GetFEM++
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2008 18:31:12 +0200

On Friday 19 September 2008 07:02, you wrote:
> 2008-9-19
>
> Dear Mr. Renard:
>    I write this letter in order to ask you some questions about the
> GetFEM++!
>    I believe the project can be used to deal with different kinds of
> problems involved in finite element since it is a generic and efficient C++
> library. So would you tell me whether a new type of element with a special
> stiffiness matrix or a damping matrix can be developed by myself in the
> extant GetFEM++ system? What relus should I obey?

It depends on what you mean by adding a new finite element. In Getfem there is
a complete separation between the finite element description and the
description of the equations you want approximate. For example, if you want
to use a P1 finite element (piecewise affine)  but on a new problem, you do
no need to redefine the P1 but you have to describe the construction of
elementary matrices. This is done by a small language described in the
documentation which describes more or less the weak form of your equations.
By this, the elementary matrices and assembly procedure are defined
independently of the finite element method used and you can change it very
easily.

>    You know that the finite element method can be utilized to solve some
> dynamic problems with respect to time. Would you tell me whether a finite
> element program to solve this kind of problems can be created by the
> GetFEM++ library?

Of course, you can approach dynamical problems using Getfem++. You have such
exemples in the tests problems /tests/dynamic_friction.cc for instance.
Basically, you can compute a mass matrix, a stifness matrix and apply a time
integration scheme.

>    Think yor for your time! I'm looking forward to your kind responds.
>
> Best regards!
> Sincerely,Hao Xiong,Ph.D.
> Department of Geotechnical Engineering, TongJi University,ShangHai

Sincerly,

Yves.

--

  Yves Renard (address@hidden)       tel : (33) 04.72.43.87.08
  Pole de Mathematiques, INSA de Lyon          fax : (33) 04.72.43.85.29

---------