[Getfem-users] Regarding interpolation on meshes and slices

From: Arvind Ajoy
Subject: [Getfem-users] Regarding interpolation on meshes and slices
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2008 00:40:57 +0530

Hi

Sorry to trouble you again. I have a question regarding meshes and slices.

Before I ask my question, I wish to explain the geometry of the problem. I have a
cylinder meshed using prisms that have been extruded from triangular elements.
The axis of the cylinder is the x-axis.

I am able to solve a Laplacian system to give me a quantity U(x,y,z). I need to find the
quantity V(y,z) = U(x0,y,z) + U(x1,y,z) + .... + U(xn,y,z). I do this by first taking slices at
x = x1, x2 .... xn; then generating meshes from each of these silces; and finally computing
U(xi,y,z) on each mesh (using gf_compute()). I find that the gf_compute() takes roughly
1sec at each xi.
    On the other hand, if I do not create a mesh from each slice, but interpolate directly on the
slice, I find that I can perform this operation in 0.04sec per xi. I understand that this increase in
speed is because interpolating using a slice does not interpolate the meshfem basis.

Is there a way for me to convert the values on a slice to that on a mesh?

i.e. I will calculate V(y,z) using interpolation on slices, and then finally convert this to values
on a mesh.

I look forward to your suggestions.

Thank you for your help.

Regards