Re: [Getfem-users] Data for piecewise constant coefficients

From: Yves Renard
Subject: Re: [Getfem-users] Data for piecewise constant coefficients
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2009 11:50:14 +0200

On mardi 7 juillet 2009, Jehanzeb Hameed wrote:
> Hello,
>
> In laplacian.cc  "getfem::classical_fem(pgt,0))" is used to represent
> the fem space for coefficient function (mf_coef). This coefficient
> function is constant on each convex. It is not used in laplacian.cc,
> and is set to one by creating a vector ones (
> std::vector<scalar_type>(mf_coef.nb_dof(), 1.0) ).
>
> Now say, I want to this coefficient to be piecewise constant, that is
> constant on each of (say two) subdomains. It seems I cant use
> interpolation for it, as interpolation functions use coordinates of
> points, and dont seem to indicate which convex they come from.

Indeed you can. If you represent your coefficient on a P0 method (piecewise
constant), the interpolation point for each element is the barycenter. So you
can discriminate in wich part of your domain is the point. If you want to
fill the corresponding vector by hand, you can use the method
mf.point_of_dof(i) for the P0 method which will give you the coordinates of
the corresponding barycenter. Otherwise, you can also use the interpolation
functions.

Yves.