Re: [Getfem-users] Rigid body elements

From: Renard Yves
Subject: Re: [Getfem-users] Rigid body elements
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2010 18:31:07 +0100

Dear Kostas,

It is of course potentially usefull to have a constraint brick which
is able to link some dofs of two different variables. This could be done
extending the existing one in order it accepts an optional second variable
or by creating a new brick.

If you intend to create a brick which automatically compute the constraint
corresponding to your modelization, it is better to create a separate brick
since a brick normally have to react when a finite element method is modified
(refinement, ...). Of course, this brick may derive from the constraint brick
 (similarly to the contacts brick which derive from the basic contact brick).

Yves.

Konstantinos Poulios <address@hidden> a écrit :

Hi,

I am trying to model a torsion moment applied onto a shaft. A common
practice in a commercial FE- Solver would be to define a single node
with 6 dofs lying on the axis of the shaft. Then connect this node via
rigid body elements with the nodes lying on the cross-section of the
shaft where the torsion moment is to be introduced. Finally, constrain
5 dofs of the previously defined single node and apply the torsion
moment as a neumann condition on its 6th rotational dof.

In order to transfer this technique to getfem I thought to define a
fixed size variable of size 6 to represent the single node and add
constraints between this variable and the shafts dofs lying on the
considered cross-section to represent the so called "rigid body
elements". Though, I realized that the constraint brick can be defined
only on a single variable, so it is not possible to use it in order to
interconnect dofs from two different variables.

I wonder if it is a good idea to extend the constraint brick in a way
that it can accept two variables or if there is a simpler technique to
solve my problem. Does it make sense to introduce some kind of "rigid
body elements" into getfem based on such an extended two variables
constraint brick?

Kostas