[Getfem-users] Penalized contact between nonmatching meshes

From: logari81
Subject: [Getfem-users] Penalized contact between nonmatching meshes
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2012 09:58:34 +0100

Hi all,

I have recently extended the penalized continuous contact brick to nonmatching meshes. However it doesn't seem to be very robust at all, especially when the global system contains other bricks that are based on Lagrange multipliers, so I am trying to find out if I have some bug somewhere or if it is just a theoretically expected behaviour.

In the attached files there is a quite minimal example demonstrating one case with good and one case with bad convergence. The only difference is the kind of the dirichlet conditions, penalized in the first case, with multipliers in the second one.

The examples can be run with
./test_contact input_simple
and
./test_contact_fail input_simple
respectively.

It would be nice to have a second opinion before spending more time on debugging this issue, so that I can proceed later with the implementation of the Alart Curnier contact bricks for nonmatching meshes.

Best regards

Kostas