[Getfem-users] gesvd_interface

From: Philipp Lamby
Subject: [Getfem-users] gesvd_interface
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 14:17:24 -0500

Hello,

I have got a question concerning lines 379 and 399 in
gmm/gmm_lapack_interface.h:

   resize(U, m, n);     /* Why not resize(U, m, m); ? */

I think, in the SVD  X = U*S*V^T, the orthogonal Matrix U should have
dimensions mxm.
After reading the LAPACK documentation, I do not see a reason why U should have
columns. Actually I think, if X is overdetermined (m>n) the current code might
cause
memory violations when calling the interfaced LAPACK routine. In my application
is underdetermined, and I stumbled later in my code, because I unexpectedly
could
not  multiply U^T with a vector of length m.

Best regards,
  Philipp Lamby