[Getfem-users] demo_crack.py Dirichlet condition

From: Oaks, Aaron Jameson
Subject: [Getfem-users] demo_crack.py Dirichlet condition
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2015 19:01:20 +0000

Greetings,

I am a PhD student at University of Illinois and I'm starting in on a project studying crack propagation. I'm just starting out with GetFEM++ and FEM in general, so I apologize if this question is remedial. I went through the thermo-elastic and electrical coupling tutorial on the website, and that went well, but going through the demo_crack.py example I'm having trouble seeing how the Dirichlet BC is assigned. In the coupled tutorial I understood how it worked using either a constant value or values interpolated on the same MeshFem for each boundary node, but with all the different MeshFems in different bases defined to accommodate the crack I seem to be at a loss. Could I get a mathematical description of the Dirichlet condition to be assigned, and an explanation of how the example code goes about assigning that condition? Thank you very much for your time.

Aaron Oaks