[Getfem-users] Strange behaviour of add_penalized_contact_with_rigid_obs

From: David Danan
Subject: [Getfem-users] Strange behaviour of add_penalized_contact_with_rigid_obstacle_brick method
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2022 19:03:24 +0100

Dear Getfem users,

i wanted to try the add_penalized_contact_with_rigid_obstacle_brick method a while ago and the results seems consistent with the other methods i had used so far, therefore i was satisfied.

However, on my test case, i found out that the contact condition seems to be ignored for some reason.

I was able to reproduce the issue using an already existing mesh in Getfem and the test example demo_static_contact.py file, please find enclosed the python script associated.

If i use enforceContactWith="Penalization" orĀ  enforceContactWith="Multipliers" for E=1, everything is ok and the solutions exported are "roughly" the same
However, for E=1e6, while the solution obtained by using multipliers gives relatively reasonable results, that's not the case for the penalization (see picture enclosed).
I tried to increase the penalization coefficient but it hardly had any impact on the solution.

Did i miss something?

Thank you in advance.
Kind regards,
David.