gforth

[gforth] Another single-char name conflict

From: Ethan Gardener
Subject: [gforth] Another single-char name conflict
Date: Sat, 06 Jul 2019 11:46:31 +0100

I found another unexpected single-character name, `l`, defined in
current/locate1.fs:100:3 .  This time, I've compiled a crude test to check, by
seeing "redefined" messages, what 1-character names are exposed.  The code is
below, I reserve no rights.  Using it, I found several 1-character names
exposed in the forth vocabulary at startup.  I'm aware some names are expected
to conflict, but the redefined warnings are a little worrying when I don't know
what functionality I'm locking myself out of.  (Charles Moore wrote of `i`
having different meanings: to the editor it's "insert"; in counted loops it's
the index.) I found the conflict by loading current/blocked.fs which defines
`l` in the forth vocabulary.  (I'm using blocked temporarily, I got fed up with
switching to other editors on my kindle fire and my own in-forth file editor
turned out to be a bad design.)

In latest gforth on Android, the following 1-character names appear:
current/locate1.fs: b g l n
current/mini-oof-2.fs: m o
arm/gforth/site-forth/starta.fs: t

Code:

\ Removed from list:
\ standard 1-char words,
\ `k`, `{`,
\ closing brackets.
\ Documents referenced for standard:
\ Forth Programmers Handbook,
\ DPANS94.  Documents checked by eye only.

: " ;
: $ ;
: % ;
: & ;