[gfsd]Re: MIX Development Kit Documentation -- new release

From: Bradley M. Kuhn
Subject: [gfsd]Re: MIX Development Kit Documentation -- new release
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 17:09:08 -0500

jao <address@hidden> wrote:

> yes, i've got a couple of questions. first, when i write to the different
> addresses below asking for permisions, how must i identify myself?

You are listed in our canonical maintainers list, and people at all those
addresses have access to that file.

To get accounts set up, you'll need to provide a secure method to get a
password---such as a GPG key, or a telephone call.

Just let <address@hidden> know if your email address changes.

> do i have the possibility of having a gnu.org mail account?

Absolutely.  Send a message to <address@hidden> to ask for a forward.
If you want to actually check your mail on GNU machines, then the request
should go to <address@hidden>.

> also, what about transfering the copyright of MDK to the FSF? is this the
> normal practice? what do you recommend?

It is completely acceptable to transfer the copyright to the FSF, if that's
what you want.  It's really your decision, but we will zealously defend
violations of the license if we hold copyright.  Defense of such violations
are up to you if you hold copyright.

If you'd like to assign copyright, please contact <address@hidden>.

> finally, should i rename MDK to GNU MDK?

You can always call it MDK for short, but it is a good idea to always make
it clear that MDK is a GNU program.

> and, which is the standard way for marking in the source distribution that
> the package is a GNU project?

Put it in the README, and other such files, at least.

> (i mean, which files should contain this information and what is its
> standard/recommended wording).

There is no standard, per se, just as long as it is clear to users that MDK
is indeed an offiical GNU program.

If you have further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.  I am sorry if
I have been vague here, but there is not a hard and fast rule in many cases
you bring up.  The cases that have hard and fast rules are described in the
maintainers guide, of course.