[gfsd]Ggradebook needs new maintainer

From: Hugo Gayosso
Subject: [gfsd]Ggradebook needs new maintainer
Date: 09 Nov 2001 20:45:52 -0500

(See attached)

--- Begin Message --- Subject: Re: Ggradebook development Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2001 17:32:46 -0500 User-agent: Mutt/1.2.5i
Norbert,

On Fri, Nov 09, 2001 at 12:55:23PM -0800, Norbert de Jonge wrote:
> I'm the author and maintainer of Ggradebook, GNU
> Gradebook, which websites can be found here:
> http://www.gnu.org/software/ggradebook/ggradebook.html
> http://Ggradebook.sourceforge.net/

Ggradebook appears to be a very useful program.

> I don't have the time to work on Ggradebook anymore.

I'm sorry to hear that.

> Other people, from for
> example the SEUL.org/edu project (Eric Sandeen and
> Hilaire Fernandes), volunteered to help... but they
> never really did. Mostly because they have their own
> projects or are too busy with other things just like
> me, I guess.

I found their project - it's called Grader, but development on that
appears to have stopped also (at least there hasn't been any CVS
activity for over twenty months), and the last messages on the list
had to do with the project stalling.

I found a KDE gradebook program, too, but its web page appears to have
disappeared.

> The development of Ggradebook has stopped over a year
> ago and I decided to mail you, because it is probably
> in everyones best interest if something could be done
> about the current situation the Ggradebook Project is
> in. It's not that Ggradebook isn't good software - I
> got a lot of positive feedback from teachers and other
> people - but it could be even better if its
> development would continue. How to reach that goal,
> any ideas?

I'm sorry to hear that you're not able to continue development of
Ggradebook, and I hope that things are going well for you.  I suppose
the only thing we can try to do now is shine a little publicity on
your situation.  We can add an entry to the GNU Task List indicating
that you're seeking a maintainer, and see if anyone volunteers for the
task.  Otherwise, I suppose that posting a news message to SourceForge
might help.

I understand that a lack of free time is what's causing you to look
for a new maintainer, but you might also want to issue a new release
(a few bug fixes, maybe small enhancements) and post an announcement
on freshmeat.  If you're lucky this will generate some interest in
Ggradebook which might help find someone who likes the software and
wants to take over the maintainer's role.

Regards,
Toby Cabot (GNU Volunteer Coordinator)

--- End Message ---

- --