[gfsd]Re: Approving Forum as an official DotGNU project...

From: Brian Youmans
Subject: [gfsd]Re: Approving Forum as an official DotGNU project...
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 11:09:55 -0400

I have added Peter to gnu-prog and gnu-prog-discuss, added Forum to
the maintainers file, and sent Peter a copy of maintain.text.
- Brian

   Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2002 12:13:22 -0600 (MDT)
   From: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
   cc: address@hidden

   I hereby dub Forum a GNU package.

   Please don't forget to mention prominently in the README file and
   other suitable documentation places that it is a GNU program.

   The new-gnu people will mail you a file, maintain.text, which
   describes a lot of procedures for GNU maintainers.  The file also
   describes who you can ask for various kinds of support or advice.  If
   you encounter a situation where it isn't clear what to do, you can
   also ask address@hidden, which is a list of a few other GNU
   maintainers who have offered to answer questions for new maintainers.

   They will also add you to the gnu-prog mailing list, a moderated list
   for announcements to GNU maintainers.  They will also add you to the
   gnu-prog-disc list, which can be used for discussion among GNU
   maintainers, but whether to stay on the list is up to you.

   Would you like to make ftp.gnu.org the distribution site?
   If so, please tell address@hidden when you have
   a version to release.  If you need, we can make an acct for
   you on ftp.gnu.org so you can install new versions.

   Write some useful web pages about the program, to put in
   http://www.gnu.org/software/PROGRAMNAME.  These pages should be the
   main web site for the program, and they should really have the
   information for users, not just a link to another site; please use
   http://www.gnu.org/software/PROGRAMNAME whenever you give out the URL
   for the home page of the program.  Please don't set up a "site for the
   program" anywhere else--if you want to do work on additional web pages
   about the program, please put them on www.gnu.org.

   (It is ok to put pages that address developers-only topics on another
   site, and likewise for pages that access databases.)

   In writing the web pages, please follow the style guidelines in
   http://www.gnu.org/server/fsf-html-style-sheet.html.  You can send the
   pages to address@hidden when you are done, or you can use Savannah
   to install and edit them directly.

   We invite you to use Savannah as the CVS repository both the program
   and its web pages.  This makes it easy to update the web pages, since
   whatever you install through CVS will automatically appear on
   www.gnu.org.  Using Savannah will also help the GNU Project in other
   ways.  To set this up, visit http://savannah.gnu.org/.

   Please also write an entry or a change for the page
   http://www.gnu.org/people/people.html, and mail that to
   address@hidden also.  Note that we don't want to talk about
   proprietary software, so if you have worked on any, please don't
   mention it here.  Your entry can include a link to your home page
   provided it fits our usual criteria for what we link to.

   Please fill out an entry about your program for our Free Software
   Directory.  Please contact address@hidden for more info about this.

   you need.  There should be at least one, address@hidden, for
   reporting bugs.  Please tell them whether you would like this list to
   be open to the public or just an alias going to whoever you choose.
   Also please say whether you would like to have a public archive of the
   list.

   If there are a few alternative names that might be natural for users
   to use, let's make all the aliases that might be useful.  If you want
   these lists to be aliases for lists on your site, that is ok; ask
   new-gnu to set them up that way.

   for people to ask other users for help.  And some programs have a list
   address@hidden for sending announcements to the users.  (These
   are often moderated.)  Please think about whether such lists are
   appropriate for this program; please ask for them if you want them.

   Please mail an announcement to address@hidden about the existence of
   the program, either when the program is released, or now if the
   program is already released.  Include a brief description of the
   program so people can tell whether they are interested in using it.
   Mention the web pages on www.gnu.org and say where to get the program
   by ftp.

   new-gnu people, could you please enter Peter Minten
   <address@hidden> in gnuorg/maintainers, add him to
   the gnu-prog lists, and send him a copy of maintain.text?