[gfsd]Dasher

From: David J.C. MacKay
Subject: [gfsd]Dasher
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 12:43:33 +0100

Dear All,

        I've been asked to tell you about
our new piece of GPL free software.

-----------
Dasher
------

 Dasher is an information-efficient text-entry interface, driven by natural
continuous pointing gestures. Dasher is a competitive text-entry system
wherever a full-size keyboard cannot be used - for example,

    * on a palmtop computer;
    * on a wearable computer;
    * when operating a computer one-handed, by joystick, touchscreen,
trackball, or mouse;
* when operating a computer with zero hands (i.e., by head-mouse or by
eyetracker).

The eyetracking version of Dasher allows an experienced user to write text as
fast as normal handwriting - 25 words per minute; using a mouse, experienced
users can write at 39 words per minute.

For further information see

http://www.inference.phy.cam.ac.uk/dasher/

There are several versions of Dasher.
The intention is that the new release of Dasher (version 3, release date:
October 2002)
will become a multi-platform, multi-language software system.
Version 3 will be released under GPL.

------------
Funding
-------

Making a  multi-platform, multi-language software package is a big task
and I'm currently trying to secure funding for a project manager to
play the role of chief hacker for the next 2 years. If GNU.ORG has
any contacts among the charitable donors community
who would be especially interested in supporting open source
software for disabled people, please let me know.

Thanks

David

David J.C. MacKay        email: address@hidden
                           www: http://www.inference.phy.cam.ac.uk/mackay/
Cavendish Laboratory,      tel: (01223) 339852 fax: 354599  home: 740511
Madingley Road,                 international code: +44 1223
Cambridge CB3 0HE. U.K.