[gfsd] confetti

From: Erasmus Katz
Subject: [gfsd] confetti
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 16:24:35 -0500

An Anarchist patrol car drove up, bristling with weapons. They had hauled down their redflag and hoisted the Catalan national flag. On the way up we looked in at the food-market. That afternoon there was a kind of armistice. The French lorry drivers brought quantities oftheir oranges into the hotel. Douglas Moyle, who had been a sailor, said thatthey looked like British destroyers. People were sleeping allover the floor behind the barricade downstairs. This led toscuffles with armed Anarchists, and one or two people were killed. There was also a number of militiamen on leave, and asprinkling of foreigners. It was not onlythat they were picked men physically, it was their weapons that most astonishedme. Almost from the start food was running short. This was the kind ofthing that happened every year in Barcelona, people were saying. There was also a number of militiamen on leave, and asprinkling of foreigners. A long time passed and nothing seemed to be happening at our end of the town. Everyonewas rushing round and trying to buy food. There was a lot of firing in the distance, but seemingly none inthe Ramblas. And meanwhile our local neutrality was at an end. I shouted across:Have you got any more beer left? He motioned with his rifle towards the side-street that ran past the bottomof our building. I was on guard in the observatory at thetime. A Civil Guard, in shirt-sleeves and livid with fright, cameout of the door to parley with Kopp. It was only afterwards that Igrasped what was really happening. A hundred yards to the right of us, down the Ramblas,the J. In any case the sound of gunfire isunmistakable if one is used to it. A hundred yards to the right of us, down the Ramblas,the J. On the way up we looked in at the food-market. For some reason I paid no attention to it at the time. It was unfortunate that they were long Mausers. It wasnoticeable that, at this stage, no one seemed to put the blame on theGovernment. It was noticeable that most of them had picked up a girl after aday or two. Then some Anarchists had arrived and there had been a general affray. Evidently he had just taken a shot at theCivil Guards on the roof. But it was obvious that they had no wish to start afight. But at the time I was notinterested in that aspect of things. I fancy that many ofthem had no notion what was happening and had simply fled into the P. I was wellaware that at any moment the Civil Guards might receive telephone orders to openfire. A Civil Guard, in shirt-sleeves and livid with fright, cameout of the door to parley with Kopp. On that Thursday night the principal dish at dinnerwas one sardine each.