[gfsd] Re: iozone license free or non-free

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: [gfsd] Re: iozone license free or non-free
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2006 11:12:49 -0400

        While I agree that "Free software" (Where free is the FSF definition)
        is of tremendous societal benefit, and very appropriate for the
        vast majority of applications, I believe that benchmarks are unique
        and due to the nature of being a benchmark there are societal benefits
        from not permitting one to distribute modified versions of
        a benchmark.

I understand the problem you're trying to solve, and I've explained
why I think you can solve it in other ways.  It is not necessary to
make the benchmark non-free.

Your own analogy shows this clearly:

            You apply for a governmental job. You take the standardized
            test and you get your results for ranking. You're done
            and fairness and equality was achieved. You are competing
            on a level playing field.

This is because government gives you a copy of the official version of
the test, and judges based on your answers to that version.

                                       You are not permitted to modify the
            test, and then redistribute the modified test and then go off
    thinking
            that everything is cool. It's just not fair ...

What if this were permitted?  What harm would it do?

* It would not stop the government from giving you the standard
version of the test.

* It would not stop you from answering the test you were given.

* It would not stop the government from judging you based on your
answers.

As far as I can see, the availability of modified versions of the
test would make no difference at all.

The analogy is imperfect, because these tests are often secret.
You might not be allowed to redistribute the unchanged test.
But that has nothing to do with the issue at hand.

        This may also explain why there are so few "Free" benchmarks
        out there, and why folks mistrust the ones that are available,
        and end up going with extremely proprietary benchmarks where

That takes several speculative leaps.

    Iozone bridges this gulf by providing
        a zero cost benchmark where you get the code, and re-distribution
        rights. Everyone is on a level playing field, and can benefit
        from the benchmark and comparable results.

This would be just the same if iozone were free software.
The problem you want to solve is real, but we've already discussed
the other solutions that are available.  Why not use them?