ghm-discuss

Re: [Ghm-discuss] The Ultimate Emacs Course

From: jemarch
Subject: Re: [Ghm-discuss] The Ultimate Emacs Course
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2009 17:08:24 +0100

Hi Henrik.

   jemarch, some comments about the course:
   I (emacs users for years) often get the question from 'my' students what
   IDE I would chose if I was to start programming today. This is an
   interesting question, which I don't really know the answer to. Even
   though I tell the students that Emacs can do quite a lot more than to
   program C in, I think the question is valid.

   As a consequence of that I think an interesting aspect of your course,
   given that you have plenty of time (5 days), could be to compare Emacs
   to newer IDEs. As an example I find the refactoring features in Eclipse
   very useful (given a VCS that can deal with renaming files and dirs for
   this is very*2 useful).

That is a quite interesting point indeed.

My intention is to show the use of CEDET with the several languages
supported by semantic (this includes Java). As an exercise of that
part we are going to code some missing refactoring functionalities
using the semantic API, incorporating the result in senator.