ghm-discuss

Re: [Ghm-discuss] GHM in Latin/South America

From: Rodrigo Rodrigues da Silva
Subject: Re: [Ghm-discuss] GHM in Latin/South America
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2010 18:32:21 -0200

On 19-10-2010 17:44, Rodrigo Rodrigues da Silva wrote:

> Anyway, I like the idea of European and North American hackers coming as
> well! We could organize a GHM along a major event such as FISL (June
> 29th - July 2nd 2011, Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil), or also a separate
> thing in a major city as São Paulo or Rio. Although, I prefer the first
> option which has already proven to be successful in previous GHM's.

I have been thinking about a location for a possible GHM in South
America. The first idea was to run it along a major event such as FISL,
in late June. The problem is that FISL is always held in Porto Alegre,
which has no international connections besides Montevideo and Buenos
Aires. Domestic flights are not very expensive if booked in advance,
though (found SAO-POA for R$170, ~€80)

Rio de Janeiro and São Paulo, on the other hand, have cheaper
connections, but smaller events. What comes to my mind now is CONISLI
(International Free Software Congress) on 21-22 Oct 2011, in São Paulo,
but last edition (2009) has been very small and underadvertised.

I would appreciate a few cents on this, and if it is realistic I should
start talking to some people organizing these events.

--
Rodrigo Rodrigues da Silva

PoliGNU - Grupo de Estudos de Software Livre da Poli/USP
Garoa Hacker Clube
GNU Project