ghm-discuss

Re: [Ghm-discuss] Papers, notes, slides, and recordings

From: Luca Saiu
Subject: Re: [Ghm-discuss] Papers, notes, slides, and recordings
Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2013 01:27:27 +0200

Hello Nikita.

On 2013-07-08 at 23:54, Nikita Karetnikov wrote:

> I assume that a lot of people won't be able to attend the meeting.
> Could anyone record all talks or at least sign and upload available
> materials (e.g., slides, papers, notes) after the meeting?

Yes.  Sylvestre Ledru has graciously offered to take care of recordings
and we plan to upload videos, along with slides and other material, to
the GNU website -- unless some speaker objects.

> If you have the right equipment and skills, it might be a good idea to
> stream the event.

I don't know about streaming.  If we decide to do it, it's imperative
that we stream in a free video format.

> You could even organize a live Q&A session via IRC,
> for instance.  However, such things seem very fragile and
> time-consuming.  Is it worth it?

Indeed, that's messy.  This year we'll have a couple remote Q&A sessions
for the first time; we plan to use VoIP or a telephone, with IRC or
Jabber as a fallback solution.  If this setup turns out to work well we
can consider strengthening the "remote" facet of this thing in the
future, but personally I'd fear to make the event too impersonal.  In my
opinion you can follow the talks with videos, but being "there" is an
important part of what makes the event fun.

> (I should probably volunteer at this point, but I don't have any
> relevant experience at all.)

Thanks for at least considering the idea :-).  Sylvestre has a lot of
experience operating the recording equipment, and I don't think we need
more than one person at a time; however maybe somebody can take his
place when he's tired.

Are you attending, Nikita?

Best regards,

--