gksu-devel

Re: Improving gksu: lib, server, basic client

From: Allan Douglas
Subject: Re: Improving gksu: lib, server, basic client
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 21:06:03 -0200

> Hello all,

Couve!

(...)
> I've thought about a gksud, also, which would run with the desktop,
> and would serve the purpose of having an icon into the system tray,
> like redhat's stuff. It could have a simple network interface, like:
>
> GET <user> <XAUTH_token>
> SET <user> <XAUTH_token> passwd
> FORGET <user> <XAUTH_token>
> FORGETALL <XAUTH_token>
>
> The server would keep the password for, say, 20 seconds. This means
> that gksu_init would try to connect to this server when running, and
> would get the password from it, and use it, renewing the timeout
> of the server.

Some questions:

We really need a daemon?

The client<->daemon communication will be automatic? Ex: If the daemon is up,
gksu_ask_passwd("bleh", "blih") will returns without displaying a message
(because the lib can get the password from the daemon)?

Will be possible to utilize the lib without executing the daemon?

20 seconds? Too little, a daemon that keeps the password for a few seconds will
be useless. Maybe 15 minutes...? (sudo's default timeout)

We really need a daemon? And the KISS principle...?

=D

[]'s