gksu-devel

Re: Improving gksu: lib, server, basic client

From: Gustavo Noronha Silva
Subject: Re: Improving gksu: lib, server, basic client
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 12:46:15 -0200

Em Wed, 29 Oct 2003 02:14:19 -0500, "Paul Smith" <address@hidden> escreveu:

> %% Allan Douglas <address@hidden> writes:
>
> Hi all;

Hau!

> I'd like to suggest we take a small step back and just write down the
> TODO list or general requirements for the future of gksu; that can help
> drive technical solutions.
>
> It appears we're looking for a way for gksu to "remember" the password
> it has been given for some amount of time, similar to how Red Hat's
> consolehelper application works.

Indeed.

> I'm assuming we are all familiar with how consolehelper _DOES_ work,

No. Do you have pointers to where we can find the source code of that
thing?

> does the basic work of authentication (I believe).  Has gksu given any
> thought to using PAM for their authentication, etc.?

No, I have not thought about that. It might be a good idea, although
I have no idea how to do it right now =D.

> Again, I think this should be more transparent, based on timeout.  If
> the timeout for remembering a password is 0, then no daemon will be
> used.  If it's >0, then the daemon will be started with that timeout.

Very nice idea.

> The other thing I'm still interested in is sudo support.  To my mind
> there are already a few packages which do what gksu does now, to greater
> or lesser degrees, but no one does sudo...

Yeah, me too. Could you please explain how your script handles the
X authentication in another thread, Paul? If it is simple and secure
I'm more than willing to put it back.

[]s!

--
address@hidden: Gustavo Noronha <http://people.debian.org/~kov>