gksu-devel

libgksu, savannah and sudo

From: Gustavo Noronha Silva
Subject: libgksu, savannah and sudo
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 13:57:52 -0200

Hello people,

With the savannah compromise, the cvs was blocked and the file
download area is still down.

I have made some releases of gksu, which you will be able to find
here:

http://beterraba.no-ip.org/libgksu/

The latest one is 1.0.3, which includes sudo functionality. The library
is there, it works, but its API sucks.

After thinking and talking with people more experienced than I, I
believe it could become something like this:

We have a GKSuContext structure which will be created by a function
like gksu_context_new () -- that context will need to be freed by
gksu_context_free (). This solves a lot of problems, like the huge
memory leaks that do exist in libgksu now and which I can't think
of a good way to handle.

It also solves the problem of wanting to use gksu many times
inside the same program with different configurations without
the need to keep a function to switch contexts (by calling gksu_set_*
everytime).

Then we still have the getter/setter functions, but they'll receive
a GKSUContext* as argument, as well as gksu_run and gksu_sudo_run.
The gtk_init'ing stuff will be hidden, and will be called by gksu_run
or gksu_sudo_run.

This is because I will try to provide a gksu_set_display, which the
calling program will be able to set, and that needs to be done
*before* gtk_init... but all this gtk_init thingy is quite a doubt at
this time -- what do people think?

So, that's it, hope you all passed the year well =).

[]s!

--
address@hidden: Gustavo Noronha <http://people.debian.org/~kov>
Debian:  <http://www.debian.org>  *  <http://www.debian-br.org>