gksu-devel

gksu 1.1.0, new API

From: Gustavo Noronha Silva
Subject: gksu 1.1.0, new API
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 13:46:35 -0200

Hello people,

I am right now building the final deb packages for gksu 1.1.0, I still don't
know whether I will make a formal release or a 'just for the development'
one.

Anyways, you can find it here:

http://beterraba.no-ip.org/gksu/

Main change is, of course, the new API, which breaks the ABI and,
thus, the versioning has suffered a modification, now we have
libgksu.so.1.0.0.

I would very much like comments. The gksu demo-and-command-line-
frontend-to-the-library-hey-ho app is already ported. The only serious
caveat in the implementation now is that libgksu does *not* init the
gtk library anywhere yet.

It used to do so through gksu_init, but now I want to do it when the
user actually runs something. This has to be seen, yet, and I believe
the library will have to do many tries to do that -- maybe one
gtk_check_init in each of: gksu_context_new, gksu_ask_password,
gksu_run and gksu_sudo_run.... that seems to be sucky, what do
you think?

Also, how should sudo be handled? Is the current way nice IYO? =P

Following, the current API and, at the end, the current TODO:

This is the new API:

GksuContext*
gksu_context_new ();

void
gksu_context_free (GksuContext *context);

/*
  The main functions
*/
gchar*
gksu_ask_password (GksuContext *context);

gboolean
gksu_run (GksuContext *context, gchar *command);

gboolean
gksu_sudo_run (GksuContext *context, gchar *command);

/*
   getters and setters for the configuration
   options
*/
void
gksu_set_user (GksuContext *context, gchar *username);

const gchar*
gksu_get_user (GksuContext *context);

[...]
/*
  all the getters and setters functions remain mostly the
  same, but receiving a GksuContext
*/

TODO (generated by devtodo, databse [.todo] on the CVS):

- port gksuexec to use the API instead of the gksu executable
  (added Thu Jan 29 13:11:02 2004, incomplete, priority veryhigh)

- create a libgksu-common package with the translations and images
  (added Thu Jan 29 12:48:08 2004, incomplete, priority high)

- have gksuexec show an option to select between su and sudo
  (added Thu Jan 29 13:11:26 2004, incomplete, priority medium)

- gksu: support for -c to specify the command
  (added Thu Jan 29 13:11:54 2004, incomplete, priority low)

- libgksu,gksu: support different shell (-s on su)
  (added Thu Jan 29 13:12:17 2004, incomplete, priority verylow)

- gksu: maybe ask for the command if it was not given?
  (added Thu Jan 29 13:12:41 2004, incomplete, priority verylow)

- gksuexec: command history
  (added Thu Jan 29 13:12:55 2004, incomplete, priority verylow)

See ya!

--
address@hidden: Gustavo Noronha <http://people.debian.org/~kov>
Debian:  <http://www.debian.org>  *  <http://www.debian-br.org>