gksu-devel

Having a problem in Ubuntu - sudo's windows fading to gray / appearing e

From: Lee PHP
Subject: Having a problem in Ubuntu - sudo's windows fading to gray / appearing empty
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 07:59:06 -0700

Hi there,

I've been using Linux for a while, but I may not be up to speed on the
terminology to use, so please bare with me. I installed Ubuntu 7.04 on
Monday, and haven't really had any issues until now. I have a couple
of issues actually, and I think they're all related (to GKSU). Some
windows that open are now empty (minus the window title), or open
fine, but fade to gray after a few seconds. These issues are described
below:

(1) I originally posted this on
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=472695:

Some of the applications I run fade to gray a few seconds after I open
them. E.g. if I do `sudo gedit` and enter a valid password, the Gedit
window appears, but the white screen fades to gray after a few seconds
- I can no longer resize it, or type in it. If I type `sudo gedit`
again, and am not prompted for my password, no window appears.

  address@hidden:~$ sudo gedit
  Password:
  # GEDIT OPENS UP, BUT FADES TO GRAY BECOMING UNUSABLE.
  address@hidden:~$ sudo gedit
  # GEDIT DOESN'T OPEN
  address@hidden:~$ ps -ef | grep -i gedit
  lee      21207 14395  0 07:36 pts/0    00:00:00 grep -i gedit
  # NOTHING TO SEE HERE; MOVE ALONG

This only happens for a few applications. Calling `sudo emacs` works
perfectly well. Calling `gedit` (without the sudo) also works
perfectly well. This problem occured in Eclipse also, but I think
fixed that by just resizing the screen. Does anyone know what the
problem might be, or where I might look to find relevant logs/errors?

Could this be related to my other issue posted in this forum
(http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=472684Problem with theme
gtkrc file - stopping DBVisualizer)?

(2) I posted this on :
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=2836275#post2836275

Hi there,

I'm trying to run the installation file for DBVisualizer, but it
displays an empty window with the title, "Setup - DBVisualizer 5.1.1",
and gives the following error message in the terminal:

  address@hidden:~/Applications$ ./dbvis_linux_5_1_1.sh
  Starting Installer ...
  /usr/share/themes/Clearlooks/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:34: error: lexical error
or unexpected    token, expected valid token

Line 34 of that file contains the following:

    fg[NORMAL]        = @fg_color #"#000000" # black

When I change it to the following, it has a problem with the next line:

    fg[NORMAL]        = "#000000" # black

When I go through the whole file and delete all @<VARIABLE>
references, it just displays a blank window.

Can anyone tell me what the problem may be, or how I can work around
it? I tried changing my window themes, but I get the same error for
them (just a different file name and line number).

Thanks in advance for your thoughts. Apologies if this is
inappropriate for this mailing list.

Thanks,
 LeePR