Re: [Gluster-devel] features/mirror available?

From: Dale Dude
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] features/mirror available?
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2007 16:48:38 -0500

Sorry for this dupe email. Didnt Reply-all last time:

Hi Krishna,

Im just doing testing for now, but the idea is to hopefully have a circular redundant cluster mainly for web servers serving fairly large video for a free service. For example, having 10 total servers with 100gig drives that are serving web requests and also being gluster servers and clients.

Ideally the ability to glob together all the machines/drives/bricks into one config and gluster handle the redundancy would be great. Possibly even handling failover. Unfortunately, conventional RAID5 on each machine isn't always an option. RAIF is interesting, however (see below).

As I see it right now, I would need to use an outside method to replicate the gluster filesystem to a backup filesystem. If a machine/brick fails then I'd resync from the backup. (Another poster points out that if a machine/brick goes away there is the possibility of duplicate files).

I have tested setting up 2 seperate gluster filesystems as an NFS replacement (per the FAQ). I layered RAIF on top of them for RAID1 between the 2 gluster filesystems. It seems to work, but I havent really banged on it. RAIF can do RAID0-6 per file (regex). It works at the filesystem level just like glusterfs. Its quite interesting. Although, again, to have redundancy within gluster would be absolutely ideal and, in my opinion, make glusterfs a very hard to beat filesystem.

RAIF info:
http://lkml.org/lkml/2006/12/13/168
http://filesystems.org/project-raif.html
Source:
ftp://ftp.fsl.cs.sunysb.edu/pub/raif

Thanks for your time,
Dale

Krishna Srinivas wrote:
Hi Dale,

You will get the automatic file replication (AFR) translator by
mid feb.

Could you let us know how you are using GlusterFS
and how AFR translator is going to be useful for you?
(will help us understand how users are using it)

Regards,
Krishna