Re: [Gluster-devel] AFR

From: Anand Babu Periasamy
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] AFR
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 00:55:43 -0800

,----[ Brent A Nelson writes: ]
| With regards to number 3, yes, I mean file locking (and byte-range
| locking of a file if that's also supported).  I just wanted to make
| sure that file locks are handled properly for replicated data.
`----
GlusterFS supports byte-range locking. File-locking is implemented on
top of record locking. Locks should work properly for AFR too, since it
is handled on all replicas simultaneously.

,----
| With regards to number 4, I just wanted to be certain that if you
| had multiple storage targets on each of multiple nodes, that you can
| configure it such that your replica of any data is always on another
| node, never on the same node.  Otherwise, if a node went down, of
| course, you'd lose access to the data AND the replica.
`----
Yes, you can configure it in overlapping mirrored or independently
mirrored fashion (1,2 3,4 or 1,2 2,3 3,4 4,1). Failure of bricks will
not affect. In fact you can also say (1,2,3 2,3,4 4,1,2 or 1,2,3,4
2,3,4,5 ...) where you can have more than 2 copies. Just a matter of
configuration.

--
Anand Babu GPG Key ID: 0x62E15A31 Blog [http://ab.freeshell.org] The GNU Operating System [http://www.gnu.org]