Re: [Gluster-devel] AFR in actual use

From: Krishna Srinivas
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] AFR in actual use
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 09:26:04 +0530

Hi Brent,

On 2/26/07, Brent A Nelson <address@hidden> wrote:
Based upon an earlier comment, when AFR comes out in 1.3 on Wednesday, it
will happily replicate data as it is changed, but a node that goes down
won't resync itself with any changes made while it was down when it comes
back up.  Resyncing would be done in a future release by an fsck process.
Is that correct?

Yes, We will have fsck do it ( we may also have another tool to do it)

If so, some questions:

1) Version 1.3 won't be usable as a fault-tolerant clustering filesystem,
although 1.4 might be, right?
1.3 will just replicate data. resyncing part is not done yet.

Would there be a crude method of resyncing
manually (such as rsyncing the underlying filesystems), at least for
testing until 1.4 is out?
As of now, you have to mount the two bricks and sync them manually.
(you can use rsync)

1a) Similarly, what about adding replication to an existing area that
already has data?
For this, you can sync first and then use the node for AFR.

2) In 1.4, would the fsck resync occur after the out-of-sync node has
already reconnected as a replica? If not, how would you ensure that you
pull in all the changes made while the fsck is running (but before AFR
kicks in)?
Proably others can give inputs on this. We need to discuss on this.

Thanks
Krishna

Thanks,

Brent