[Gluster-devel] Feature Idea.

From: Nick Clarke
Subject: [Gluster-devel] Feature Idea.
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2007 21:15:19 +0000 (GMT)

Hi,

-- Sorry to double post but my previous message got messed up somewhere along
the way.

I stumbled across Gluster while looking for a Linux cluster system and
instantly had a big smile on my face after a couple of clicks.  This is a great
project and not a small one.

I did have an idea for a feature, not sure if it would something for Gluster or
the scheduler.

Power Save: The ability to Suspend/Sleep/Shutdown nodes (or groups of nodes)
when they are not needed.

Node states:
  - Suspend: Do not start up until a set time for example.
  - Sleep: Faster start up
  - Shutdown: Longer to start up but no power consumption

Node type examples:
  - Data Centre
      Achieve
      Live
      ….
  - HPC
      Render Farm
      Web Server
      ….
  - Etc..

- Timed Suspend/Sleep/Shutdown
  7pm – 9am for example

- Rule based power saver based on node type e.g. Data Centre, HPC node etc..
   An example: A group of data centre nodes could be used for achieve and
rarely used, so they could be set to Suspend after 2 hours of no use and only
started when something is required. As their function is storing achieved data
the user would allow for a small start up delay (common files could be cache on
other nodes).

- Suspend/Sleep/Shutdown when not needed.  Wake-On-Lan when needed (example:
incoming large job, data access or during a time window).

This would allow me and I’m sure others to save a lot of running costs.

Nick

http://www.yahoo.co.uk/blackberry