[Gluster-devel] Can't get afr to work

From: James Dyer
Subject: [Gluster-devel] Can't get afr to work
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2007 13:58:26 +0000 (GMT)

I've been trying for ages to get afr to work, but somethings either
broken, or I'm just not 'getting it'...

I'm running glusterfs 1.3.0-pre2 on RHEL 4

At the moment, I'm just trying to get two instances of glusterdfsd running
on the same server, with the directories /home/jad/gluster/cfs0 and cfs1
respectively.  If I understand things correctly (and it's quite possible
I'm not understanding properly), the following configuration should mean
that any file I create in the glusterfs directory should appear in both
cfs0 and cfs1, due to the replicate option.

Configuration for first glusterdfs:
volume brick
  type storage/posix
  option directory /home/jad/gluster/cfs0
end-volume

volume server
  type protocol/server
  option transport-type tcp/server
  option bind-address 127.0.0.1
  option listen-port 6996
  subvolumes brick
  option auth.ip.brick.allow *
end-volume

Configuration for second glusterdfs:
volume brick
  type storage/posix
  option directory /home/jad/gluster/cfs1
end-volume

volume server
  type protocol/server
  option transport-type tcp/server
  option bind-address 127.0.0.1
  option listen-port 6997
  subvolumes brick
  option auth.ip.brick.allow *
end-volume

Configuration for glusterfs mounting:
volume brick
  type protocol/client
  option transport-type tcp/client
  option remote-host 127.0.0.1
  option remote-port 6996
  option remote-subvolume brick
end-volume

volume brick-afr
  type protocol/client
  option transport-type tcp/client
  option remote-host 127.0.0.1
  option report-port 6997
  option remote-subvolume brick
end-volume

volume afr
  type cluster/afr
  subvolumes brick brick-afr
  option replicate *:2
end-volume

First instance of glusterdfs run with:
glusterfsd -f /home/jad/gluster/server0.vol

Second instance:
glusterfsd -f /home/jad/gluster/server1.vol

glusterfs mount run with:
glusterfs -f ./client.vol glusterfs

What I'm finding however, is that if I do a 'touch glusterfs/foo.bar', the
file is appearing in cfs0, but not in cfs1, which seems to me means that
gluster is ignoring my 'option replicate *:2' entry in the afr volume.

Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong???

James