Re: [Gluster-devel] combining AFR and cluster/unify

From: Krishna Srinivas
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] combining AFR and cluster/unify
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 13:04:33 +0530

On 3/12/07, Pooya Woodcock <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi Krishna,

I'll clarify a bit by saying the main purpose of having cluster/unify
plus AFR is to have an expandable grid file system but have
redundancy on it too. I don't mind having to restart the daemons or
remount the glusterfs volume.

I have the funds to build a 20 node glusterfs cluster and I was
thinking that 20 machines each with 2x750Gig SATA drives in cluster/
unify would yield around 25-30 or so TB of storage. An EMC san of
comparable size will cost us way more than this grid. If you add the
AFR portion, and say replicate *:4 , that's like saying you can take
down 3 servers and still be guaranteed to have a node in the cluster
with the file you're looking for.

Please let me know if I'm wrong, and with that in mind, can you
provide an example of how to do this on a cluster of 4 servers to
start ?

Hi Pooya,

Your idea is correct. For the example of how to do it, have you gone
through our wiki documentation?
http://www.gluster.org/docs/index.php/GlusterFS
Let us know if you need any help.

Krishna