Re: [Gluster-devel] Upgrading GlusterFS

From: Gerry Reno
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] Upgrading GlusterFS
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2007 11:29:06 -0400

Anand Babu Periasamy wrote:
Gerry Reno writes:
What needs to be done to upgrade to a newer release of GlusterFS?

Do I need to do a "make uninstall" in the previous release build
tree first, prior to deleting it?

Or, can I just delete the previous release build tree and just
'configure' and 'make' in the new release build tree?

It is always advised to "make uninstall" with the same source you used
for installation. In case if you did not have the original source,
remove the glusterfs files and directories manually (/etc/glusterfs,
/usr/lib/glusterfs, /usr/lib/libglusterfs*, /usr/share/doc/glusterfs).
This rule applies to most software compiled installed from source.

More info...

In GlusterFS-1.2, translators didn't have versioning support. So when
users overwrote with a newer version with incompatible translator ABI,
they experienced obscure segfaults. GlusterFS-1.3 has translators
installed under a versioned directory to protect such errors.

Even if you "make uninstall" with the newer source, Makefile will not
know how to remove files that were installed by the older versions but
removed in newer source. It will lead to stale files.

Yes, this is exactly the kind of thing that I wanted to avoid. So what we should do is:
1. run "make uninstall" in the old source tree and then remove that tree
2. download the new release and untar it thereby creating the new source tree
3. cd into the new source tree
4. run 'configure' with the appropriate arguments for your setup
5. run 'make'
6. run 'make install'