Re: [Gluster-devel] Too many open files

From: Brent A Nelson
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] Too many open files
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2007 15:01:13 -0400 (EDT)

I suspect you meant "ulimit -a"?
ulimit -a
core file size          (blocks, -c) 0
max nice                        (-e) 20
pending signals                 (-i) unlimited
max locked memory       (kbytes, -l) unlimited
open files                      (-n) 1024
pipe size            (512 bytes, -p) 8
POSIX message queues     (bytes, -q) unlimited
max rt priority                 (-r) unlimited
stack size              (kbytes, -s) 8192
max user processes              (-u) unlimited

Just in case you did mean uname -a:
uname -a
Linux jupiter01 2.6.15.7-ubuntu1.060913 #1 SMP Wed Sep 13 15:21:26 EDT 2006 i686 GNU/Linux

The servers are Ubuntu 6.06.1, with a custom kernel for Lustre. They have an old Fuse, not 2.6.3, but I suspect this is more of a glusterfsd issue rather than a glusterfs issue. My third client does have FUSE 2.6.3, and it also reports "Too many open files."

I Googled a bit and found someone else had written their own Fuse filesystem and encountered the error. Someone suggested ulimit to remove the limit, but he found it was a bug in his code where it was leaking open directories.

Even if I can increase the limit, I still suspect it's a bug, and the new limit would eventually be reached.

Thanks,

Brent