Re: [Gluster-devel] Re: [bug #19614] System crashes when node fails even

From: Brent A Nelson
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] Re: [bug #19614] System crashes when node fails even with xfr
Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 12:50:52 -0400 (EDT)

I haven't seen this issue since before patch-164. If it makes sense to you that that patch might have fixed it, you can probably consider the failed reconnect (requiring kill -9 to glusterfs) closed. I think I would have run across it by now if the issue was still present. I just tried a quick test, and it did fine (except for the issue discussed in the next two paragraphs).

Reconnect has been very nice ever since, except for the other issue I described (which has been there since the initial reconnect patches, I believe): after a disconnect (say, kill and restart glusterfsd), the client may not reconnect until the next I/O attempt (which is reasonable). That next I/O attempt (such as a df or ls) will trigger a reconnect, but the I/O that triggered it will get an error rather than waiting for the reconnect to complete, issuing the I/O request, and getting the valid result. The next I/O attempt will work fine.

So, it seems that, if there's an I/O request when nodes that would affect the I/O are in a disconnected state, reconnect should be given a moment to succeed before returning an error for the I/O. If the reconnect succeeds, go ahead and do the I/O and return the result of it.

Or perhaps there's a better way to handle it?

Thanks,

Brent