[Gluster-devel] GlusterFS + DB

From: Gerry Reno
Subject: [Gluster-devel] GlusterFS + DB
Date: Sat, 12 May 2007 11:36:22 -0400

Lately I've just been lurking and reading all the posts. Amazing progress by all the GlusterFS developers... Looks like 1.3 is getting pretty stable and I am anxiously awaiting GlusterFS 1.4 and self-heal (as is everyone else here I'm sure). That is where we can take GlusterFS out of our labs and onto the track so to speak. Now I'm beginning to think about some of the issues of running a shared-filesystem database cluster. Existing methods of doing this have usually involved SANs and FC and GFS and similar and insuring that writes to the block device were updated to the cluster nodes in near real time. So is GlusterFS suited to being used in a shared-filesystem database cluster scenario? Can the performance be high enough that the database cluster nodes will not see different/corrupted data? How can data integrity be addressed? When 1.4 is somewhat complete I am thinking about setting up a simple AFR cluster and running a simple unpartitioned database over it just to see if this is possible.

Regards,
Gerry