Re: [Gluster-devel] Some problems reproduced (strace, test code etc.)

From: Anand Avati
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] Some problems reproduced (strace, test code etc.)
Date: Sat, 26 May 2007 00:16:32 +0530

1) Okay. I found the following patch (might be related?):
http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/2/27/304

I will try and let you know if it worked.

excellent! i'm curious to know your results.

2) When doing "dd if=/dev/zero of=test" on an non-gluster filesystem I
get a much higher throughput (around 90 MB/s). Of course I can imagine
this is caused by frequent kernel/user-space context switches and also
read on the GlusterFS and FUSE roadmap this will be improved soon.
I'm wondering how Hurd will do in this regard.

"dd if=/dev/zero of=test" without a big bs= value will be slow on
*any* fuse based filesytems. i saw a few patches related to batch
writepages support into fuse which would likely improve the
performance a lot. infact i just wrote to the fuse-devel mailing list
asking if this was on the way anytime.

3) It only happens in a chrooted environment on a gluster filesystem.

ah ok, looking into it.

thanks!
avati

--