Re: [Gluster-devel] Uses for glusterfs?

From: Krishna Srinivas
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] Uses for glusterfs?
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2007 19:39:47 +0530

Hi Brandon,

Yes, GlusterFS is very cool ;-)

> > If i were to setup a 3 server cluster and say each server had its own
> > 200 gig raid, would glusterfs put an identical copy of my mail data on
> > all 3 servers letting me lose up to 2 servers before i lose my data?

Yes, that is the purpose of AFR.

Now I just have to get ZFS working and YES!

Not sure, if anyone has tried to compile/run glusterfsd on Solaris, but it
should be possible. ZFS on linux is too premature....

Kickass! Kudos to the developers. I tried the DRBD/OCFS2 and GFS...
and wow, this blows them out the door. I am so stoked in case you
couldnt tell, and I havent even done anything with it yet haha.

Cool!

Regards
Krishna

On 6/3/07, Brandon Lamb <address@hidden> wrote:
On 6/2/07, James Porter <address@hidden> wrote:
> Glad you are interested in gluster, I absolutely love it! I'm kinda sleepy
> so if some of my statements are not coherent don't worry about it. Feel free
> to ask questions.
>
> There are several profiles available that let you determine how the gluster
> bricks will behave. A brick is basically a cluster to the client, you can
> have multiple bricks. You could set one cluster(all machines) to make your
> reads fast for your mail daemon to read from. Then you can also configure it
> to make sure at least 1 copy is on 2 nodes. Instead of a backup server you
> would have two hot swap servers.
>
> You can pretty much configure glusterfs to behave the best for your
> situation. I personally don't like hardware sitting around doing nothing :)
>
> A good place to start:
>
> http://gluster.org/docs/index.php/Getting_Started_with_GlusterFS
> http://gluster.org/docs/index.php/Image:Glusterfs-cluster.png
>

> Just try it out, it sells itself.
>
> Jim
>

> On 6/2/07, Brandon Lamb <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> > I am a sysadmin for an ISP and we currently have a single server 20
> > scsi drive raid that stores our maildir format mail data, we have
> > about 105 gigs of mail.
> >
> > Our problem is that we have a single point of failure. We have backups
> > sure but if we lost our drive thats over 5 hours to copy from a backup
> > and getting a new server up.
> >
> > So my question is, can glusterfs help in this area?
> >
> > If i were to setup a 3 server cluster and say each server had its own
> > 200 gig raid, would glusterfs put an identical copy of my mail data on
> > all 3 servers letting me lose up to 2 servers before i lose my data?
> >
> > Or do I completely not understand what glusterfs does?
> >
> > I was looking at starfish which sounds similiar to me and they claim
> > to be a turbo charged google filesystem.
> >
> > I was initially looking at a DRBD / OCFS2 solution, but ditched that
> > in favor of just rebuilding our current box as it is but with a fresh
> > updated os but remain a single server with no live spare. The decision
> > was based on keeping it simple and due to not wanting to buy another
> > scsi raid ($$$).
> >
> > But if we could put together 2 servers with SATA II raids (cheap $)
> > and have glusterfs replicate the data between all 3 servers that would
> > be cool.
> >
> > I look forward to any info this list may provide.
> >
> > Thanks!
> > =)
> >
> > Brandon

not sure if my reply only went to one person so im forwarding directly
to list for other new users...

HOLY OMG CRAP!!!

I just setup a 2 machine cluster with glusterfs. omg. I just got done
emailing my two bosses with holy F*#k. This is SWEET!!

I set up the config so that both machines exported a local
/home/export directory, and then both machines connected to both as
clients and setup the config to do the AFR so that files were
replicated 2 times.

WOW... im just sitting in bed on my laptop grinning at the console
screen as i create files on each machine and watch it show up on the
other and vice versa.

Now I just have to get ZFS working and YES!

Kickass! Kudos to the developers. I tried the DRBD/OCFS2 and GFS...
and wow, this blows them out the door. I am so stoked in case you
couldnt tell, and I havent even done anything with it yet haha.

I cant wait to mess around with this at the shop on monday and add more nodes.