[Gluster-devel] idea for a new xlator

From: Matt Paine
Subject: [Gluster-devel] idea for a new xlator
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2007 09:41:55 +1000

Hi guys.

While talking to DynWind on #gluster last night I raised an idea I've been having about a testing xlator - after the chat I was asked to present the idea to the list.... here are my ramblings :)

1) An option in the trace xlator for "option save-replay-file". When this option is set, every action (and possibly the length of time between each action) is recorded to the sepcified file in a machine parsable format.

Why is this useful........

2) A replay xlator. This xlator takes the log file, and replays the actions (at the specified time dealy possibly) to the subvolume.

I have been thinking about improving my own testing proceedures lately, and was thinking about this way of testing in the glusterfs project. It fits quite nicly with the xlator style.

I believe these log files can also be distributed with the source (with permission from the originator anyway, in case of sensitive data). This will ensure that each release of glusterfs will work in a specific instance of calls. One could write the replay xlator to replay a bunch of files (say, all the trace files in the testing directory) and report on their success or failure.

I admit there should me more thought put into it, but it might be enough to throw around some ideas.

One idea might be to have a dummy xlator as well, which can pretend to have access to a file, or directory, and report the success of a file open (when in fact no file actually exists). This could help when a client produces a trace file to be replayed by the developers but no such file exists on the developers system. Maybe it will use a listing of valid files or somthing. But now I really am just rambling :)

Matt.