[Gluster-devel] ctdb project

From: Brent A Nelson
Subject: [Gluster-devel] ctdb project
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 17:59:01 -0400 (EDT)

Since many people interested in GlusterFS also seem interested in fault-tolerance (and probably have clients that can't run GlusterFS), I though I'd point out an interesting project. Take a look at:

http://ctdb.samba.org

It is designed to use a cluster filesystem (such as GlusterFS) shared amongst a cluster that can reexport the filesystem from multiple members of the cluster as if they were one (LVS-style). Although obviously intended for Samba, it should work for NFS, too (they have instructions for it).

So, you could have a cluster exporting GlusterFS, parallel CIFS, and parallel NFS! A fault-tolerant, high-performance fileserving jack-of-all-trades; very cool (could make an incredible NAS product; add more bricks, serve them up in parallel, handle redundancy and failover)...

Of course, NFS reexport has to work first (SAMBA already seems to work fine on GlusterFS).

Thanks,

Brent Nelson
Director of Computing
Dept. of Physics