[Gluster-devel] running RDBMS on top of GlusterFS

From: Marcin Krol
Subject: [Gluster-devel] running RDBMS on top of GlusterFS
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 09:00:47 +0200

Hello everyone,

First, thanks to developers for GlusterFS - we are considering
transition to cluster filesystem and so far I have narrowed the
possible choices down to only two usable options, namely GlusterFS and
LUSTRE.

I have searched archives for issues related to running SQL engine on
top of GlusterFS, but haven't found explicit answers, so here it
goes:

1. Are there any drawbacks to running RDBMS such as PostgreSQL or
MySQL on client node while the data like .MYI and .MYD files are
stored on GlusterFS brick?

Conversely, are there any advantages? E.g. any thoughts about
configuration that could parallelize reads of different sections of
index and data files and thus boost performance of SELECT queries?

2. Any hard data / tests / hints about performance in comparison to
running RDBMS engine on local fs?

3. Can you think of any problems regarding reliability, locking
issues, etc?

It would be nice to add an item like this to FAQ - I'd write smth on
the topic myself, but frankly I have very little experience with
cluster filesystems, so it's not like I feel knowledgeable on the
subject.

--
Marcin Krol