[Gluster-devel] replicate with 5 nodes - and adding more nodes in the fu

From: Shai DB
Subject: [Gluster-devel] replicate with 5 nodes - and adding more nodes in the future
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 18:29:05 +0300

Hello, we are testing glusterfs 1.2 and I have few questions -

1. we are going to store millions of small jpg files that will be read by
webserver - is glusterfs good solution for this ?
2. we are going to run both server+clients on each node together with apache

3. replicate *:2

the way i think doing replicate is defining on each server 2 volumes and
using AFR:

server1: a1, a2
server2: b1, b2
server3: c1, c2
server4: d1, d2
server5: e1, e2

afr1: a1+b2
afr2: b1+c2
afr3: c1+d2
afr4: d1+e2
afr5: e1+a2

and then unify = afr1+afr2+afr3+afr4+afr5 with replicate option

is this correct way ?
and what to do on the future when we add more nodes ? when changing the afr
(adding and changing the couples) making glusterfs
redistribute the files the new way ?

4. what happens when a hard drive goes down and replaces, the cluster also
redistribute the files ?

Thanks, Shai