Re: [Gluster-devel] Another feature request

From: Steffen Grunewald
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] Another feature request
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 17:17:22 +0200

On Thu, Jun 28, 2007 at 07:31:26AM -0700, Vikas Gorur wrote:
> > Would it be possible to flag a translator as INACTIVE (kind of hand-through)
> > or ACTIVE (this should be the default) while keeping the whole stack
> > unchanged?
>
> This would be a nice feature to have. However, I'd vote for keeping
> the specfile semantics simple (as-is), and to do these kinds of things
> at a higher layer, like the web-based configuration/specfile
> generation interface.

Since #commenting and #uncommenting uses to be less error-prone, I could imagine
a "dummy" translator that simply translates its subvolume to volume, and ignores
all other options given:

volume readahead
# type performance/read-ahead
    type features/dummy
  option page-size 65536
  option page-count 8
  subvolumes whatever
end-volume

volume writeback
  type performance/write-behind
  subvolumes readahead
end-volume

so "writeback" would be properly chained even if I decide to switch off
readahead.

Anand, can we have a "dummy" "feature"? should be even shorter than "filter" ...

Vikas, I'm used to write my config files by hand...

Steffen