Re: [Gluster-devel] UID mapping feature

From: Anand Avati
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] UID mapping feature
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2007 14:04:35 +0530

Bruce,
 Yes, your idea makes sense. Basically the fixed-id translator came in as a
hack a while back. Another idea would be to make fixed-id lookup PAM and
work like the NFS uidmapper.

thanks,
avati
2007/6/29, Bruce <address@hidden>:

Howdy all,

I would like to request a feature which maybe quite easy with the
existing fixed-id translator.

The theory we have here is that we want to be able to have all our
servers use glusterfs (or a system like it) to store files, however at
the moment each server has a unique set of users and some even have
Control panels users setup other users with which makes migration
difficult.

Basically the idea is to allow for UID mapping, for example on all
servers, users are currently set up with user IDs between 100 and 199
(as an example), however the translator would convert these to 200-299
for server1, 300-399 for server2, and so on... Hence all the servers
have unique User IDs on the storage servers and allow for quotas to be
set and avoid security issues.

The client config file might look something like this:
volume server1-live
  type protocol/client
  option transport-type tcp/client
  option remote-host 192.168.45.208
  option remote-subvolume brick
end-volume

volume server1
  type features/fixed-id
  option map-uids 100:199 200:299
  option map-gids 100:199 200:299
  subvolumes server1
end-volume

volume server2-live
  type protocol/client
  option transport-type tcp/client
  option remote-host 192.168.45.208
  option remote-subvolume brick
  subvolumes server2
end-volume

volume server2
  type features/fixed-id
  option map-uids 100:199 300:399
  option map-gids 100:199 300:399
  subvolumes server2
end-volume

and of course a unify on top of this (and maybe afr's under the fixed-id
types)

I am hoping that because this should be an easy add with the fixed-id
stuff that it will make it into a pre-release.

Cheers,
--
Bruce Parker
Engineering Team Leader

DDI  +64 6 757 2881

WebFarm Limited  I  Level 2, 2 Devon Street East, New Plymouth, New
Zealand  I  Telephone +64 6 757 2881  I  Facsimile +64 6 757 2883
ICONZ  I WebFarm I  Freeparking I  2day.com I Worldpay
Specializing in Domain Name Registration, Web Hosting, Internet &
E-Commerce Solutions