[Gluster-devel] self-heal behavior

From: Gerry Reno
Subject: [Gluster-devel] self-heal behavior
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2007 09:38:20 -0400

I've been doing some testing of self-heal. Basically taking down one brick and then copying some files to one of the client mounts, then bringing the downed brick back up. What I see is that when I bring the downed brick back up, no activity occurs. It's only when I start doing something in one of the client mounts that something occurs to rebuild the out-of-sync brick. My concern with this is that if I have four applications on different client nodes (separate machines) using the same data set (mounted on GlusterFS). The brick on one of these nodes is out-of-sync, and it is not until some user is trying to use the application that the brick starts to resync. This results in sluggish performance to the user as all the data has to be brought over the network from other bricks since the local brick is out-of-sync. Now there may have been ten minutes of idle time prior to this user trying to access the data but glusterfs did not make any use of this time to rebuild the out-of-sync brick but rather waited until a user tried to access data. To me, it appears that glusterfs should be making use of such opportunity and this would diminish the overall impact to users of the out-of-sync condition.

Regards,
Gerry