Re: [Gluster-devel] self-heal behavior

From: Gerry Reno
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] self-heal behavior
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2007 10:24:45 -0400

Avati,
 Comments inline...

Anand Avati wrote:
Gerry,
your question is appropriate, but the answer to 'when to resync' is not very simple. when a brick which was brought down is brought up later, it may be a completely new (empty) brick. In that case starting to sync every file would most likely be the wrong decision. (we should rather sync the file which the user needs than some unused file). Even if we chose to sync files without user accessing them it would be very sluggish too since it would be intervening in other operations.
Self-heal should start immediately to sync files but not at full speed but rather at some throttled nice level that would not impact operations.

The current approach is to sync files on the next open() on it. This is usually a good balance since, during open() if we were to sync a file, even if it was a GB it would take 10-15 secs, and for normal files (in the order of few MBs) it is almost not noticable. But if this were to happen together for all files whether the user accessed them or not there would be a lot of traffic and be very sluggish.
Again this should be done at a throttled level if there were other operations happening, if not then throttle it up.

This approach of syncing on open() is what even other filesystems which support redundancy do.

Detecting 'idle time' and beginning sync-up and pausing the sync-up when user begins activity is a very tricky job, but that is definitely what we aim at finally. It is not enough if AFR detects the client is free, because the servers may be busy serving files to another client and syncing at that time may not be the most apprpriate time. The following versions of AFR will have more options to tune 'when' to sync. Currently it is only at open(). We plan to add options to make it sync on lookup() (happens on ls). Later versions would have pro-active syncing (detecting that both server and clients are idle etc).
That will be great.

Gerry

thanks,
avati