Re: [Gluster-devel] error message=> glusterfs: could not open specfile

From: Paul Jochum
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] error message=> glusterfs: could not open specfile
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2007 08:20:06 -0500

Hi Jacques:

Thank you, but I don't think that using the -f and -s on the same line are correct. I receive the error message when I try this: /usr/local/sbin/glusterfs -f /etc/glusterfs/glusterfs-client.vol -s 192.168.1.225 /mnt/point glusterfs: -f | --spec-file option cannot be combined with -s | --server option

But, it did help me to find the problem. I thought that the spec file that the client was trying to find, would be the server's spec file (which seems like an obvious error now). So, to help future readers: 1) use the -s option on the client's glusterfs command if you client volume's spec file is located on the server 2) use the -f option on the client's glusterfs command if you client volume's spec file is located on the client itself.

Thanks again to Anand  and Jacques for looking at this.

Paul Jochum

Jacques Mattheij wrote:
hey Paul,

It looks to me like you should use the

  -f pathtoyourvolumespec/yourspecfile.vol

option on the command line.  I tried it here without that
and it tells me the same thing as you report (could not
open specfile).

something like:

/usr/local/sbin/glusterfs -f /etc/glusterfs/client.vol -s 192.168.1.225 /mnt/point

replace the '/etc/glusterfs/client.vol' with your location of
the client spec file.

  best regards,

    Jacques

Paul Jochum wrote:
whitelistentry: zresearch
Hi Anand:

Thank you for looking at this.

*Spec file for Server:*
volume brick
 type storage/posix                   # POSIX FS translator
 option directory /home/export        # Export this directory
end-volume
volume server
 type protocol/server
 option transport-type tcp/server     # For TCP/IP transport
 subvolumes brick
 option auth.ip.brick.allow * # Allow access to "brick" volume
end-volume

*Spec file for Client:
*volume client
 type protocol/client
 option transport-type tcp/client     # for TCP/IP transport
 option remote-host 192.168.1.225     # IP address of the remote brick*
* option remote-subvolume brick        # name of the remote volume
end-volume
*
Commands used to start glusterfs on the Server:
*/usr/local/sbin/glusterfsd*
*
*Command used to start glusterfs on the Client:*
/usr/local/sbin/glusterfs -s 192.168.1.225 /mnt/point

(I tried to follow the "Getting Started with GlusterFS" document from the wiki as close as possible)

thanks,

Paul Jochum

Anand Avati wrote:

Paul,
can you please post your volume spec files and the command line with which you are trying to start glusterfs?

avati