Re: [Gluster-devel] self heal option

From: Matt Paine
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] self heal option
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 10:38:01 +1000

Hi August

Take a simple 2 machine afr mirror for example (spec file below). I
have a brick on machine A doing afr to the brick on machine B and vice
versa. If one of the bricks goes down and I create a file on the
remaining one, is there any way to have healing done with the other
brick comes back up?

At the moment the self heal functionality is passive. I.e. you need to do an open on the file to kick in self-heal. I believe the dev team are working on active self heal (like what you are describing).

You could try running this short script to find all your files and open them, which should self-heal every file if neccesary

find /mnt/glusterfs/ -type -f -exec head -c 1 {} \;

Or something along those lines anyway :)

In my testing, I don't see any evidence of self-heal in afr even
though several folks have it in their spec files. When I bring the
other machine back online, files that were create while it was down
are never created on the mirror brick.

Can someone with a more intimate knowledge of the code comment on this
? thanks...

As I said - simply open that file and self-heal will kick in. As far as I am aware this is the way it works on both afr and unify xlators at the moment - and also I believe the devs are working on an automated way to do self heal if its a requirement.

Matt.