[Gluster-devel] HA, GlusterFS server protocol and LDirectorD

From: Geoff Kassel
Subject: [Gluster-devel] HA, GlusterFS server protocol and LDirectorD
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 18:44:33 +1000

Hi all,
   I'm trying to set up LDirectorD (through Heartbeat) to load-balance and
failover client connections to GlusterFS server instances over TCP.

   First of all, I'm curious to find out if anyone else has attempted this, as
I've had no luck with maintaining client continuity with round-robin DNS
in /etc/hosts and client timeouts, as advised in previous posts and
tutorials. The clients just go dead with 'Transport endpoint is not
connected' messages.

   My main problem is that LDirectorD doesn't seem to recognize that a
GlusterFS server is functional through the connection test method, so I can't
detect if a server goes down. While LDirectorD does a request-response method
of liveness detection, the GlusterFS protocol is unfortunately too lengthy to
use in the configuration files. (It needs to be a request that can fit on a
single line, it seems.)

   I'm wondering if there's a simple request-response connection test I
haven't found yet that I can use to check for liveness of a server over TCP.
If there isn't... could I make a feature request for such? Anything that can
be done manually over a telnet connection to the port would be perfect.

   Thank you for GlusterFS, and thanks in advance for your time and effort in
answering my question.

Kind regards,

Geoff Kassel.