Re: [Gluster-devel] HA, GlusterFS server protocol and LDirectorD

From: Geoff Kassel
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] HA, GlusterFS server protocol and LDirectorD
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 11:48:42 +1000

Hi Majied,

> With Heartbeat, the only thing required would be a "failover IP" handled
> between the two Heartbeat servers running the glusterfsd process using
> AFR.  When a glusterfsd server running Heartbeat goes down, the other
> Heartbeat server would take over the failover IP and continue service to
> the glusterfs clients.

I think I see what you're getting at here - haresources on both machines
something like:

node1 192.168.0.1 glusterfsd
node2 192.168.0.2 glusterfsd

Am I correct?

I haven't had much luck with getting services running through Heartbeat in the
past (Gentoo's initscripts not being directly compatible with Heartbeat's
status exit level requirements), but looking at the glusterfsd initscript it
looks like it might work with Heartbeat.

I'll give this a try, and see how I go. Thanks for the idea!

I know this may be a bit off topic for the list (if there was a gluster-users
list I'd move this there), but for anyone who was curious (I'm still curious
about a solution to this myself) I was trying to configure Heartbeat +
LDirectorD the following way:

/etc/ha.d/haresources:

node1   ldirectord::ldirectord.cf LVSSyncDaemonSwap::master \
IPaddr2::192.168.0.3/24/eth0/192.168.0.255

# node2 is a live backup for failover on the Linux Virtual Server daemon
# if node1 goes down

etc/ha.d/ldirectord.cf:

checktimeout=1
checkinterval=1
autoreload=yes
logfile="/var/log/ldirectord.log"
quiescent=yes

virtual=192.168.0.3:6996
        real=192.168.0.1:6996 gate 1
        real=192.168.0.2:6996 gate 1
        checktype=connect
        scheduler=rr
        protocol=tcp

The real glusterfsd servers are running on 192.168.0.1 (node1) and 192.168.0.2
(node2), and clients connect to the virtual IP address, 192.168.0.3.

However, ipvsadm after Heartbeat starts does not show either
connection as up, even though telnet to both real servers on port 6996
connects. If I configure a fallback (say, to 127.0.0.1:6996), I only ever get
the fallback through 192.168.0.3, and if I stop that machine, any connections
through 192.168.0.3 stop too.

Heartbeat doesn't see that as a failure condition - with or without the
fallback node - so the IP address and LVS won't fail over to the other node.
I can't see a way to configure Heartbeat to do so either. Hence my question
about finding a way to get LDirectorD to do the detection in a more robust
request-response manner.

Majied, do you or any one else on the list have a suggestion for what I may
have missed?

Thank you all in advance for any and all suggestions (including RTFM again :)

Kind regards,

Geoff Kassel.